Many people have thickened, discolored toenails and fingernails. About 50% of these abnormal nails are due to a fungal infection of the nail bed, matrix, or nail plate. The medical terms for this type of fungal infection are onychomycosis or tinea unguium. Fungal infections of the nail affect up to 3% of the population mainly in developed countries. Men are more often affected than women and usually later in life, after the age of 40.
Read more on Home Remedies for Toe Nail Fungus and Treatment for Nail Patella Syndrome and also visit on Herbal Products
Paranoychia or onychomycosis are most often seen in toenail fungus infections. Although a mild infection in the early stages may cause little to no discomfort, with the only visible symptoms being toenail discoloration, black or thick toenails and crumbling of the nails it is absolutely essential for you to begin toenail fungus treatment immediately. The treatment of toenail fungus with tea tree oil or toenail fungus home remedies can help significantly in these early stages but these home remedies are no substitute for medical treatment as the results vary greatly. For an effective toenail fungus cure it would be best to employ a combination of medical treatments and toenail fungus home remedies.
Fungal infections are common on both fingernails and toenails. Toenail fungus also known as onychomycosis is caused by a group of fungus called dermatophytes. These fungus are harmful because as they grow they feed on the keratin that makes up the surface of the toe nail. The two fingers that are more likely to be affected are the big toe and the little toe. The big toe and the little toe are in fact the most susceptible to paronychia, which is an infection of the soft tissue around the nail. Toenail fungus causes disfiguration and discoloration of the nails. It is a contagious disease and some times it may be hereditary. Paronychia and onycholysis are common toenail problems and may require medical assistance if they have been neglected.
Read more on herbalcureindia.com
Home Remedies for Nail Fungus
1. Fill a bucket with equal proportion of water and vinegar. Soak your feet in this combination for 20 minutes. Now, dry the toes with a towel and wipe them with a super absorbent paper. Repeat the process two times a day.
2. Another helpful home remedy for toe nail fungus would be to soak the feet in rubbing alcohol, for about 20 minutes.
3. Soak your feet in a tub filled with equal proportions of water and Hydrogen Peroxide (3%), for about 15 minutes. After this, dry the feet completely.
4. Include lots of probiotics food, such as yogurt and kefir, in your diet. This would help your body get rid of the fungus.
5. Make a paste with turmeric powder and water. Apply this paste on your toe nail. Rinse it off when it dries and then properly dry your feet.
6. Peel an onion and cut it into slices. Rub the affected toenail with the onion slices for sometime. This is an effective way to treat the fungal infection.
7. Another effective home remedy would be to soak a cotton ball in concentrated lime juice. Rub the cotton on the affected toenail.
8. It is advisable to wash the feet properly after visiting public places, like swimming pools, spas, showers and locker rooms.
9. Avoid sharing towels, washcloths, shoes or any other personal items of people who have already contracted this disease.